How to add new categories and channels
When you created your new server, we included some basic categories and channels to get you started. Here's how to add some more.
Adding a new category
- Right-click Channels and select Create category
- Give your new category a name of your choosing, then click Create.
- You've just created your new category!
Tip: you can add emojis to channel and category names.
How to create and use channels
Ten different channel types that you can choose from:
Text chat: Text chat channels are the staple of any server. Want to keep conversations organized? We have Threads for that. Need information from your server members? You can embed Forms and Polls in your chat channel. Want to pin your messages? You're not limited to 50 per channel.
Streaming (beta): Not only do we offer 4k streaming with 60fps, but you can also have up to 15 members streaming at the same time in the same channel! How cool is that! Note: Application audio is not currently available, this will be before streaming channels come out of beta.
Voice: Our voice channels have rooms within them. You can Broadcast, Whisper, and chat with up to a 256kbps voice bitrate. You also have the ability to choose the best voice region for each voice channel individually!
Calendar: No more external calendars to coordinate. With Guilded's calendar channel, you can create single or recurring events, invite members, allow RSVPs, limit attendance numbers, restrict roles, and even require a form-fill on RSVP if you need more info.
Scheduling: Scheduling channels are great for coordinating when your community is available for an event, meeting, game night, or just hanging out regardless of where you are in the world. Once everyone has indicated their availability, right-click and create a calendar event!
Announcements: Announcements are a great way to let your community know the latest news, but did you know at the slide of a toggle, your announcement channel becomes a blog, and your articles will be published in their own public blog from your server?
Forums: Forums are great for discussing topics, asking questions, sharing opinions, and maintaining a central point to keep information that can easily get lost in a scrolling chat channel. A firm favorite with our users!
Lists: List channels are more than just making a list. They can be a great organizational tool for workflows and tracking, or you might want to use them for ideas or requests. List items can be nested if you wish to separate them into categories, check them off, and restore if needed.
Docs: Many communities have their documents and articles stored on the cloud. With Guilded, you can create and keep them all on your server. You can create docs, upload images and videos, use markdowns, and there's no character limit to restrict your creativity.
Media: Media channels are great. You can upload videos up to 200Mb in size, images up to 25Mb, and link YouTube videos that will play in our cool pop-out player.
Creating a channel
Now it's time to start adding some channels to your new category.
Click the + icon next to your category name to create a channel.
Choose the type of channel you want and give it a name. Click Create.
- You have successfully created your new channel.
Cloning a Channel
- To clone a channel, right-click on any existing channel, select Clone channel from the menu.
- Rename channel and confirm
- A new cloned channel is created and will appear directly under the channel you cloned from.
Organizing categories & channels
- To move a category or channel, drag and drop it to where you prefer.
If a channel is moved to a category with different permissions, you'll be asked if you want to sync the permissions. This action will automatically update permissions in a channel to match the category it is nested under.
Archiving & deleting
- If you decide that you no longer want to keep a channel, you can either archive it to retrieve later or simply delete it. You can access this menu by right-clicking on the channel name.
- To make retrieving an article, we've made it easy to find a restore. Head over to Channels, click the cog to access the settings
- Find the channel you want to restore, and click Unarchive.