Welcome to our easy guide on creating your bot in Guilded. and you don't need to know any coding!
Check out this video for a quick intro to making bots
So, what's a bot? It's like a little helper that reacts to 'triggers' and performs 'actions.' A trigger tells the bot to start, like a specific message. The action is what the bot does in response, like sending a video link.
In this article, we'll show you how to make a simple bot that sends a video link when it sees a specific message. By the end, you'll have a working bot and a basic understanding of how to make more bots in the future. Let's get started!
Creating your bot
- Navigate to the server settings and select Manage bots from the menu
- On the Bots page, click Create a bot
- Give your bot a name.
- Start creating its workflow by clicking Add a flow
Setting up Triggers and Actions
Each bot needs a trigger and an action.
- Click Add to begin with the bot's trigger
- Choose Member sent message to channel as your trigger.
- In the trigger details, specify the channel and the message specifics - this could be an exact phrase like "Hello world or a keyword. Once set, click next.
Crafting the Bots Response
- Now for the fun part! deciding what your bot does in response. Click Add next to Action.
- For our purpose, we have selected Send a custom message.
When setting up your bot, you get to pick two things: the action it does and the channel it posts in. Just follow these steps:
- You can pick an action: Choose what you want the bot to do from the drop-down list.
- Select a channel: Decide where the bot should post its message.
Your bot can respond with messages, images, videos, polls, or forms – it's all up to you!
Important: You must allow your bot to post in the chosen channel.
- You can customize your message by typing $ to access the templating menu.
In our example, our bot will mention the user who triggers it and share a video in the message. But what if you don't want that user to get a notification or want the message to be private? Here's how you can adjust these settings:
No notification: If you don't want to notify the user who starts the bot (we call this the $TriggeringUser), the 'Sends without notifications' option and slide the toggle to turn it on.
Private message: If you want the bot's message to only go to the $TriggeringUser, the 'Send as a private message' option and slide the toggle to turn it on.
Now, you can control how your bot interacts with the $TriggeringUser!
- You will now see your triggers and actions together. Now click Save
- The bot is now ready to Save
- Let's see how the bot looks in action.
That's all there is to it. How creative will you get with the bot builder?
Customizing your bot
Want to give your bot a new look or name?
Find your bot: Go to the 'Server bots' menu and click on your bot.
Change the picture: Hover your mouse over the bot's current image. Click the camera icon that appears. Now, you can pick a new image or GIF (up to 500mb) to upload.
Rename your bot: Click the pencil icon, then type in your bot's new name.
That's it! Your bot now has a fresh look and name.
Deleting a bot
- Find your bot in the Server bots menu
- Click on Settings
- Select Delete bot
- Select Delete to confirm that you want to delete your bot.
Your bot will now have been deleted successfully.