Stay connected and engaged in your game with the Game Overlay. This feature lets you chat and access servers seamlessly, ensuring you never miss a moment of action or a message from your friends.
How to use the Game overlay
- To enable the Game overlay, navigate to your user settings by clicking the cogwheel icon.
- Enter the Game overlay section of your settings.
- Within the game, once the overlay is active, you can adjust its opacity, allowing you to customize its transparency to suit your viewing preferences while in use.
- You can customize the placement of voice or streaming participants in your voice channel, with the ability to position them at either the top left or the top right of your screen, ensuring optimal screen real estate and visibility according to your preference.
You can bind a key to be used for opening the Game overlay and enable the ability to type in chat while the overlay is pinned.
- By activating the overlay with designated keybinds, you bring up an interactive Guilded menu within your game. This feature allows immediate control for actions such as muting, deafening, or disconnecting from voice chat. It enables you to continue conversations, watch an in-app stream, or respond to direct messages seamlessly from within the overlay.
Closing the overlay
The Game overlay presents a comprehensive view of your servers and chat channels, complemented by convenient voice control options, all integrated into a user-friendly interface.
Joining a voice chat or initiating a stream via the Game overlay is straightforward and mirrors the app's functionality. Navigate to a voice or streaming channel, enter the voice chat, or start sharing your screen or camera, and you're all set. Once connected, the voice and stream controls become visible and are ready for use.
Repositioning the overlay
You can reposition the chat window by dragging the channel title at the top and resize the window by dragging it from the bottom right corner.
To view chat alongside your game without fully opening the overlay, use the Pin in-game button in the window's top right corner. This separates the chat window from the server list, allowing you to place it anywhere within the overlay to suit your gameplay best. Clicking the Pin again will reattach the chat window to the server list.
The chat channel you've pinned will maintain a transparent yet visible presence, allowing you to seamlessly click and interact with the game behind the chat window. When you activate the overlay chat using the keybind, you can easily switch focus to type into the chat, even from its pinned state.
- Only games that run using DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 are currently supported. The overlay may not open when playing older games or other runtimes. When the overlay fails to work with these games, it's beyond our capacity to intervene, consistent with its designed functionality.
- Some games that use anti-cheat systems may not be compatible with the overlay. This is a known limitation and is functioning as intended.
- The overlay is currently only supported on Windows 10 and Windows 11 using the Guilded Desktop App.
Registering new games
If the overlay isn't appearing as expected, you might need to add the game or process you're using to the list of registered processes. This option is at the bottom of the Game overlay settings page.
How to add a new game
- Start the game so that it's running.
- Click Add here!
- Select the application you have running and that you'd like to add.
Once you have confirmed adding an application, its name and file location will be displayed.
The toggles on the process control two functions. Please note these are turned off by default when a game is added. Click on them to enable the detection of the Game presence and Game overlay.
Toggle detection of the game for your Game presence
Toggle the detection of the Game overlay
If you want to remove a game you've added, you'll see this option to remove it when you hover over the button.
Changing the name of the application
The name of the process will be automatically detected from the application. If you want to rename it, click the title to edit it to a name of your choosing.
Sometimes, should the Game overlay not engage when you launch a supported game, it might be necessary to refresh (CTRL + R ) or restart the Guilded app to rectify this.
As the Game overlay feature is in beta, we're continuously working to enhance its performance and compatibility. If you have any issues or have feedback, we encourage you to contact us directly within the app or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your input is invaluable in helping us refine this feature and ensure the best possible experience for all our users.