Why would you need channel permissions?
You might want to restrict access to a category or channel only to those who help to lead and manage your server to retain privacy. You might have different groups or games within your main server and want to restrict access to the appropriate members.
As this is a popular request, we will show you how to make a private leader/management category.
Tip: We recommend creating a category first, then adding any channels to inherit the category's permissions.
Categories & channels default membership access to the Member role unless you add additional roles.
Note: Category & channel permissions will override the server permissions.
By clicking the cog icon, you can assign permissions to your category or channel in the category/channel settings.
- Once you've created your category, click the cog icon.
- Navigate to the Permissions section. Add the roles or members you wish to have access to this category.
- Click the roles to add them.
- In this example, we only want the Captain and Admin roles to have all permissions, so we have used the Enable all button as a quick shortcut.
Note: You need to add all roles for everyone, including admins depending on how you have set up your server, or you may lock those roles out of the channels.
- We have used the Disable all button to deny all permissions and access for all other roles for this category.
- Click the Save changes button when you are finished.
- Now create a new channel within the same category.
- Select the type of channel you want. We have used a chat channel here.
- Click the cog icon to access the channel settings.
- Channels created under that category will automatically sync with the category permissions we set. There is no need to set them for each channel individually.
These are an example of permissions. No matter how you choose to set your permissions, remember to click Save!